The Hancock Medal commemorates the pioneering work of Mr. Thomas Roger Hancock in the U.K. in the field of mastication, mixing and sulphur vulcanization. Hancock received the patent in November 1843 for sulphur vulcanisation, eight weeks before Charles Goodyear in the USA.
The Hancock Medal awarded biennially, was instituted originally by the Institute of Rubber Industry, UK and represents the highest level of International Recognition of Individuals for their personal contributions to the elastomer industry and continues as one of the Premier Awards of the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining, U.K. which was formed by Royal Charter in 1997 with HM The Queen as Patron and Prince Philip as a Honorary Fellow.
- 1964: The late Dr. D. Banerjee, PhD, by the Plastic & Rubber Institute, U.K. He was the first Asian to receive the prestigious award for his outstanding contribution to rubber science and technology and technical education. The award was conferred on him by the erstwhile PRI, U.K., at Manchester.
- 1985: Mr. K. M. Phillip, by the Plastic & Rubber Institute, U.K. He was conferred the Award at London for his outstanding contributions to the growth and development of the Indian rubber industry and its rubber related institutions.
- 2002: The late S. V. Lathia, by Institute of Materials and Metallurgy, U.K. The Award was conferred for his contribution to the rubber industry and his work in education, standardization and his commitment to social welfare.
- 2008: Mr. Manu M Patel, by the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining, U.K. His award was conferred by IOM3 in consideration of his significant technical and educational contributions to the IRI.
- 2014 : Dr. Ranjit K. Matthan, PhD, by the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining, U.K. The Award was conferred on him for his personal contributions on the Sustainable Development of Natural Rubber in production and use in the changing global environment and his significant global consultancy services to several rubber producing and processing corporate companies.
Last Updated On December 10, 2020 12:29 pm